500 signatures reached
To: Minister of Housing
Stop St Helen's Court Eviction
Stop the evictions and get Dún Laoghaire Rathdown County Council to buy the homes.
Amend the legislation to stop vulture funds and landlords exploiting loopholes
Why is this important?
We, the undersigned, note:
- The tenants of St Helen’s Court are threatened with eviction by a vulture fund
- The current Notice to Quit is the fourth attempt in 3 years by vulture funds to evict these tenants
- The current vulture fund and the one that previously owned the apartments are exploiting various loop holes in the residential tenancies legislation to bully and harass these tenants
- The harassment is working and, so far, ten tenants have left the complex and found tenancies elsewhere
- The remaining ten tenants are resisting the attempt to evict them and expect a hearing in the Residential Tenancies Board in the coming weeks
We call on the Minister
- To intervene in this situation and ensure Dún Laoghaire Rathdown County Council buy the apartments to provide affordable homes for these tenants.
- Amend the current legislation to remove the loopholes that are currently being exploited by unscrupulous landlords and vulture funds.
- Initiate legislation to outlaw all economic evictions.